The Glenwood Springs Community Concert Association
began presenting concerts for the community in 1947, with four
classical concerts. The concerts were first held in the local
elementary school and later in the Hotel Colorado. In those days, the
Hotel Colorado was closed in the winter, but they graciously opened
their doors for the concert performances. The concerts continued
through the 1957-58 season, at which time competition from a similar
concert series in Rifle lowered both organizations’ memberships so much
that both organizations were forced to close.
In 1963, local music enthusiasts reorganized the concert series, with
an affiliation to a national community concert organizer, Columbia
Artists. By this time, there were as many as 400 concert associations
like ours, scattered in large and small communities throughout the
United States. The concert associations operated as membership
organizations to ensure their ability to budget and pay for their
yearly concert series.
From 1963 until the present, the Glenwood Springs Community Concert
Association has continued to operate as an all-volunteer non-profit
membership organization dedicated to bringing quality, affordable
professional musical entertainment to the communities of the Roaring
Fork Valley and beyond. Membership is open to everyone, and we
encourage everyone to join. We are especially interested in
encouraging parents to share our musical experiences with their
children. In 1974, we branched out from classical music to present a
folk concert, The New Christy Minstrels. The concert received enormous
community support, and started us in our current direction of selecting
a wide variety of different types of performances for each concert
In an effort to ensure full participation from the community, we have
kept our membership fees as low as possible. In order to keep our
membership fees affordable, we ask businesses and citizens to
contribute at a higher level if they can. We thank our large list of
friends, donors, patrons and sponsors who contribute beyond the cost of
a basic membership each year, making it possible for us to continue to
present extremely high quality performances.
We reorganized as a registered Colorado non-profit corporation in 2001,
and in 2004, we applied and were recognized by the IRS as a 501-(c)(3)
charitable organization. All donationsabove the cost of a basic membership are thus tax-deductible.
Our membership campaign begins by mail just before our final concert
each spring, and continues until June 30. We encourage our current
members to renew
early before we reach out to the community-at-large for new members.
Due to the size limits of our auditorium, we do have to limit the
number of memberships we can sell in any season. We encourage members
to participate as campaign workers
during our membership drive, to help us reach out to more community
members and to earn free tickets for themselves at the same time. (one
free ticket for every 10 tickets you sell). We also encourage members
tojoin our Board of Directors.
We thank Edith Diemoz, long-time Community Concert supporter, for her contribution to this history.